Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Elluminate.

I'm blogging about Elluminate today because I'm in a fantastic online instruction class and tonight it my night to lead a lesson online using Elluminate.  I'm trying to Elluminate my mind in preparation for 6pm tonight.  You're asking, am I nervous?  Honestly?  A little.  Even though I shouldn't be.  My group is only four (including me) and my lesson is an overview of World Religions, which I've taught about a million times.  I love technology, and it always seems to work for me (knock on wood), so there doesn't seem to be a reason for nervousness-but it's still there.

It's not because I don't like Elluminate-quite the contrary.  It's wonderful-I wish I could use it with my classes, I've learned that students do remarkably well in the online environment, and I can certainly see the appeal.  You can teach a real class in it, not like the Blackboard impotent version (Lecture Hall), which isn't so great.  You can import videos, photos, manipulatives, PowerPoints...you name it, Elluminate does it.  So why am I apprehensive?  Honestly, most people would find the cause of my distress silly, but have you ever heard your voice after it's been recorded?  I have.  When I hear it played back, I always wonder, "Who is that girl?  She's saying my words, but that can't be me.".  I hate the way my recorded voice sounds. 

If I didn't like Elluminate so much, I wouldn't be donning a headset (ala telemarketer or drive-thru operator) to teach a class on World Religions to Physics, Geometry  and US History teachers tonight.  So at 6:00 tonight when my Elluminate timer dings and I click record on my first session, all I'll be hoping for is that my voice sounds good.  

If you want to try out Elluminate, you can for free (for 3 people), try it-you'll like it, or host a free webinar (for more people) as long it meets certain requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment