Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Scribblink

You'll remember that last week I blogged about Elluminate.  Despite my voice issues, I do genuinely like Elluminate-it really is remarkably useful and enjoyable. 

Unfortunately, all teachers don't have access to Elluminate-I don't even have it outside of my online instruction course to use with my students.  But, I see so many applications for Elluminate-type applications in education.  A similar site that I was playing with this morning is called Scriblink.  It's a pretty good site and taking into account the fact that it's free, it does a pretty good job (I would say it's better than the Blackboard lecture hall). 

It has many of the same tools as Elluminate, like basic drawing tools, text, markers, lines, a chat window, math tools and the ability to share files, upload images.  What sets Scriblink apart from Blackboard's lecture hall is that a) you can send the link for your class (called a whiteboard) to anyone, and it doesn't require logging in; b) you can incorporate voice.  If you have headsets (or even an external mic) it will work pretty well.  Using the internal mic is a little iffy.  I tested it with a colleague (thanks, JD)-and the audio was very crackly, you can also use a phone by calling a number they provide.  I did not test that part.  Scriblink allows you to save what goes on it your session, which is convenient, especially if you're using it as a grade or if kids do something you're not a fan of.

Scriblink is obviously not Elluminate, it lacks the assessment, video support, ability to load & present PowerPoints among others, but it seems a pretty good site-the user interface is easy to use and friendly.  Give it a try, or even suggest that students use it when working collaboratively on a project or other work.


No comments:

Post a Comment