Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I can't open it!

I've had to email my students back on a number of occasions over the years to let them know that I can't open a file they sent to me.  It's a big pain, especially at the end of the quarter when the late assignments create a flurry of email in my inbox.  DocsPal changes all that for me.  The site (shown as in Beta testing) is simple and pretty easy to use.  Simply add your file by clicking on browse.  DocsPal will recognize the file type and give you suggestions for conversion-including Open Office, if you don't have Microsoft Office.  Once you've selected your conversion options, click convert.  When it's finished, you'll see a blue link which will let you open/save the new file.  You can also check the box and have a link emailed to you (see image below).

Additionally, there is a viewer incorporated into this site, if you want to preview files from a flash drive (or something) before you open them on your computer.  

Generally it seems handy for teachers as well as being useful for students.  My school uses Microsoft 07, and I know there are students that do not have 2007 at home-so a site like this would be useful for them to view your documents/powerpoints online without you having to do any conversion for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment