Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

My love affair with Snagit...

I've been in love for a bit over a year now...in love with Snagit.  Snagit is a screen capture program, but if you're thinking this is like the Prnt Scrn button on your keyboard, you're mistaken.  That would be like comparing gas station prepack cookies to macaroons from this place, like comparing McDoubles to Filet Minon (for you omnivores out there).  Snagit is like mixing screen capture with Photoshop, but just the quick & easy stuff.

What I really like about Snagit is:
  1. That you can choose just a region and then set hot keys for it.  Mine is alt+T, which opens up Snagit region capture. 
  2. That once you capture, it automatically opens Snagit's spiffy editor, that I like.
  3. Snagit will also scroll down a website or a PDF and capture it the whole way down.  That's nice.
  4. The editor is great-it makes it easy to customize images-and actually has a lot of fuctions.  Best though, is that it's easy to use, especially when you need to 'doctor up' photos of your colleagues to add to Friday PLC meeting agendas.  :)
What I'm excited about...

I recently reloaded Snagit to my computer and it showed up with some new, sweet features.  The best of these is the video capture.  I was delighted and amazed when it showed up.  After trying it, I'm a fan.  Just like all of Snagit, it's pretty easy to use.  Just select the type of 'snag' from the menu, draw the region and begin.  One sort of confusing bit is to stop recording, you press the Prnt Scrn (Print Screen) button on your keyboard (often located next to the power button on laptops). 

Once you stop the recording, it will open in the editor-you can save it from there.

I will use this, but I hope that the Snagit powers that be will enable editing for the video (drawing, stamps, etc)-that would be nice.

Snagit does offer a free trial download.  The full version is $49.95 and definitely something your school could benefit from.  Is there any interest in covering more of the features of Snag it?

If you're Mac (I am at home), Snagit is finally starting Mac Support.  Download their Beta and try it.

For more info, check out Snagit's very own product tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment