Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pack your bags, we're going to Italy!

Well, not really, but with the increasing use of virtual field trips, this is one I had to share.  The Vatican Museum has put a Sistine Chapel virtual tour on their website.  I was very impressed with how good the quality is.  It's funny, I could see a lot more using the virtual tour than I could when I visited the Sistine Chapel in real life.  You can get very close to the fresco, which is impossible as an actual visitor to the Vatican.  

This is a great tool for your classes.  I mean, you do miss walking through the WHOLE Vatican museum before ending with the Sistine Chapel, and there are no Suisse Guards there to yell at you for taking illegal photos,  which is certainly a memorable part of the experience.  But, you can see amazing detail (click the photos below to enlarge), and you can see it with uncovered shoulders (which is a major no no at the Vatican-just ask my mom).  

All in all, I love it.























The floors were actually my favorite part of the Vatican Museum (and Rome generally)!

No comments:

Post a Comment