Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Reader Request: Word Cloud Duel

Did I ever think I'd write about a word cloud duel?  no.  Am I excited about it?  Admittedly, yes. (Click on the image to see it larger)

A reader requested that I look a Tagxedo in comparison to Tagul (which I reviewed last week).  I will say that when I first went to the Tagxedo site (and downloaded a Silverlight update), I was prepared to anoint it the champion.  On first glance, Tagxedo is lovely.  

Good Things about Tagxedo:
  • The interface is fantastic-it's extremely easy to use.  
  • Want custom?  Tagxedo is for you.  You can customize almost everything.  I especially like that your word cloud can be in a shape you upload.  My cloud (below) is in the shape of my avatar.  That's pretty awesome.
  • I like that they have many preset themes to choose from-sometimes I just don't want to put my own color scheme together.
  • Generally, Tagxedo is fantastic if you want to make a word cloud for you, or for your classroom wall-I could see it as a great option for a Word Wall.  I mean it clearly beats down Wordle.  
However,  the winner of this match goes to Tagul.  I like Tagxedo's interface better and I also like that you don't have to log in.  But, Tagxedo is in Beta testing (which I don't mind), but certain features are being spirited to a "Pro Account" in the future, which stinks. Also, there isn't an option to copy the HTML code to embed it into fine websites like this blog.  But more importantly, I especially like Tagul because the words in the cloud are links.  It's interactive, it can take your students somewhere.  I think that is the really innovative part of Tagul.  Not only is it interesting/pretty/exciting to look at, but if I have laissez-faire as a word on my review cloud and some of my students haven't a clue about what it is, they can click it and find out.  It's pretty learning, which I'm all for.

So, thanks for inspiring this post, Anonymous 4.11.2010, 2.03 PM-I hope this review helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment